Monday, July 4, 2011

Smokies July 2011





Took a day and a half to fish with my sister and brother in law. They aren't fly fishermen yet but I hope to change that. Actually, I suppose you could say that my sister is because she caught her first trout and it was on a dry fly and it was a Smoky Mountain brown...not bad. We fished the first day on Jakes Creek and I caught 4 getting two to hand the larger fish being about 10-11" which is a little above average for the Smoky Mountains. Michelle didn't catch one but she got in some good practice. We only fished for about 2 hours the first day. We spent the next day in the area of the Little River just above Elkmont Campround. I caught one rainbow and got three on. I had several other rises and misses and a few refusals from nice fish. I think I need to add another turn of hackle to my fly. I may stop using foam bodies as well. I had always wanted to fish this section of Elkmont thoroughly but the first couple of times I didn't really know what I was doing. This time was a lot of fun and I had a chance to land three fish but was tired and my reaction time was just too slow. One trout actually took my fly down about a foot and I still missed him. They say that other areas higher up are better to fish because there is less boulder hopping and I may try them next time. I think at the end of the day I had made it about a mile or so up from the campground. I don't think brookie territory starts until about two miles up...I'll have to start after the first mile and a half next time. I took a few pics of the various pools etc and a fish or two. I love fishing in the Smoky Mountains. It's a very beautiful place to me.

No comments: