Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Fishing the Caney Fork

Well, I have fished the Caney Fork since my trip to the Smokey's and it was a blast. I took a friend and we waded in just below the dam. It was around July 1st and the weather was hot, but the nymph fishing was great. I had a couple of keepers on the line, but couldn't get them into the net. Make certian you go to the TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency) and check the generation schedule before you go. It changes very often. There are drop off and pick up services avaialable at the local canoe rental shop and they have canoes and kayaks for rent as well. The Caney has large browns, brooks and rainbows! The size limits to keep trout can vary by river and by species in Tennessee (I believe), so check the TWRA site before you go to be certain you know what you can keep. The are several guide services available in the area that offer float trips as well and are easy found by searching the internet. I'm hoping to have a review of the Elk River up soon and will have a review up of my next trip to the Smokey's up around the end of July. I will be teaching my sister to fly fish!

No comments: