Saturday, July 5, 2008

My First Trip to the Smokey's and Fly Fishing

My first trip to the smokey's and my first time fly fishing was basically a blind run. I had read a couple of message boards and had gotten some ideas, but really knew very little. I started out along the road just after the split. There was a small set of stairs and a nice pool at the bottom that looked like a great place to at least practice casting. I spent a couple of hours casting and retrieving line, but only caught a small shiner of some sort. I then proceeded to the end of the road at Treemont (Treemont Institute) and managed to catch a small rainbow! I was so excited that I took a few nice "trophy" pictures (Yes, I am very embarrassed to admit that). That one fish got me hooked and a few months later, I'm still enjoying fly fishing and I don't think I'll ever stop. If you are new to the sport, check out the Little River Outfitters website. They have a great online shop and a really informative message board. Even if you aren't fishing in the Tennessee area, they have some very experienced anglers that can help you with everything from casting to picking out a vest.

No comments: