Friday, September 16, 2011

Big Water

When I first started fishing the Smokies a few years ago I had no idea what I was doing.  I was out of shape and had a few medical issues come along about a year later.  I was kind of forced to stick close to the campsites due to health and due to not really knowing what areas were worthy of fishing.  Having spent 12 years in the Army, four of those as an active duty infantry soldier, I was no fan of the back country anyway.  I had done that for years in the Army and spent my time fishing along the big waters by the roads of the park.  At first I struggled.  I didn't catch much and made simple mistakes such as wading in the water too much instead of casting from the bank or with just my feet in the water to reach the distant runs on the far side of the river.  I think I caught 3 fish in my first 5 trips to the park!  Now, with four years under my belt of taking an average of 5-6 trips a year to the park I can generally catch at least 5-10 fish in any three or four hour period.  I love the park and think that it's larger water has plenty of fish to offer...BIG fish.  I had a 20+ incher on a few months back but pulled him against the current to get him to hand and my tippet broke.  I've taken my sister a few times and the trip before last she caught a little brown.  She is starting to get plenty of rises if she  can just react quickly enough to the rise.  She took the time to show my little niece the ropes on the last trip and I bet before long they are both old pros.  Anyway, here are a few pics from the last trip fishing the bigger water in the park:














No comments: