Saturday, October 25, 2008

Betty's Island

Went down to Betty's Island around 8:30 and fished a muddler for a while, but I think I was a couple of hours late. Started fishing a Orange EHC with a ZM Dropper and got a couple of good strikes. The second strike was really hard and my knot wasn't that good and my line broke. I forgot to bring extra leader and my leader was way too short, so I left. From now on, I will have two of everything with me. The guy to my right caught three nice ones while I was there. His presentation was better than mine, but I did get mine going well after a while. He was fishing streamers. The one hard strike that I got was on retrievel while my dry was under water, so it seemed that streamers were the way to go. I tried a wooly bugger (brown with some flash tinsel?) and didn't have any luck. A guy at the local shop said to go with Zebra Midges on a dead drift, but I had tried that as well and no luck. It seemed the one guy catching fish was fishing some sort of streamer, but I would think the pro knows what he's talking about. There was a light rain with an overcast sky for a bit and the rest of the time it was just cloudy. The fish really came on in the rain, but there were jumpers all day until we left at 11:30. I didn't see a hatch, but there must have been one with all of the jumping and rising. Then it died off and I figured the party was over. Besides, I had let water get into my waders, so I was freezing cold (will bring a change of clothes next time as well)."I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." TennesseeFlyFishing

No comments: