Saturday, June 23, 2012

Her First Time On The River

My niece Abigail is 11 (or is she 10?) and wanted me to take her fishing.  So, of course I loaded up my gear in the truck and picked her up Saturday morning.  We loaded her bait casting rod up and off we went.  It was a short drive of about an hour to the tailwater. 




We started out about 500ft below the dam and started wading down river.  I managed to catch a few stockers and one decent bow.  She decided she wanted to try fly fishing and caught on right away!  She was getting line out and hitting targets within a few minutes. 











She even managed to get one on!  We fished hard for about 4 hours and became tired and too hot as it was about 95 degrees today.  We waded back up to the trail down the side of the river and headed home.  It was so much fun watching her cast and getting that fish on.  I think she may even come back.

5 comments:

Brian L. Schiele said...

Good job Uncle Dwayne!

Dwayne said...

Thanks brother!

HighPlainsFlyFisher said...

Good on ya!! Experiences like that aren't soon forgotten at that age , you've probably got a new fishing partner now I'd say.

Unknown said...

She had an awesome time and really enjoyed the fly fishing. I am sure she will go with you as long as you will come and get her. She isn't old enough to think we are uncool (yet). BTW she is 12. Geez, you're old. :-)

Dwayne said...

Lol, thanks guys! Yeah, I will come and get her when she wants to go :)